Thursday, February 01, 2024

Track Of The Day: Yagya - Nebulous Egress (Ohm Series)


Today’s offering comes straight out of Iceland from the redoubtable Yagya, someone who knows his way around the dub techno modular presets. This track is everything I like about the mysterious, foggy genre. It’s got momentum and drama, as well as subtlety and depth. I guess we could go on forever about why music like this seems so suited to the land of fire and ice, and not, for example, Philippines; because, although there are plenty of live volcanoes there, it’s generally a bit warmer. I suppose the truth is, like anything, that music like this is always a state of mind and not necessarily a product of its maker’s environment, although there’s no doubt that location plays a huge role in the inspiration behind it. This also ably bridges the gap between house and techno, but send it spinning off into a lunatic, melancholic fringe. Ridiculous title as well. There's an egret that I see in the town where I live and I'll be having a word with it.

No comments: