Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Track Of The Day: Daryl Hall & John Oates - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) (RCA)


If you haven’t sung along to this when it comes on the radio, I pity you. Hall & Oates ‘I Can’t Go For That’, is a piece of languid, sunny disco, the likes of which hadn’t been heard before and hasn’t since. It’s ultra processed sound, a slow shuffle that seems bogged down in quicksand, is the perfect sunshine soundtrack. There are so many little sonic “moments” in this tune that it’s hard to keep up. And the “Say no go” line was famously sampled by De La Soul on their eponymously titled track. Put this together with Miami Vice and you’ve got one facet of the eighties in a nutshell. Maybe not the one you like, but one that is inextricably linked to the others, no matter what. I've heard that these two are now locking horns with each other in a lawsuit, inevitably about royalties, etc. The inspiration to post this came from it being broadcast this morning on Zoe Ball’s breakfast show, which kept me company while driving to Cambridge and getting stuck in traffic earlier today. Andwhich kept me company while driving to Cambridge and getting stuck in traffic earlier today. And I was singing I was singing. 

No comments: