Monday, February 19, 2024

Track Of The Day: Brian Eno and David Byrne - The Jezebel Spirit (Sire)


Definitely in my all time top ten, by virtue of its pervasiveness. An amazing track that changed electronic music forever and is arguably the standout on a revolutionary album full of them. Also released almost two years before ‘Thriller’, which it undeniably fostered. ‘My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts’ was David Byrne’s first piece of work away from Talking Heads and this samples an exorcism over a backing track, sonically not too dissimilar to those being used on ‘Remain In Light’. Listening back to this now, although its influence is undeniable, it seems terribly short, much briefer than I remember it. This used to get so much play in the hash layered bedrooms of my youth. And, of course I say “arguably the standout”, maybe the most memorable, but I’m not sure if it’s the best tune on the album. One thing that I’ve noticed though, is that it’s ripe for an edit, which doesn’t seem to have happened yet. I’m sure someone will put me right on this.

No comments: