Thursday, February 22, 2024

Track Of The Day: I-F - Space Invaders Smoking Grass (Interdimensional Transmissions)


If I remember correctly, (and I do), Dave Mothersole sold me this at IQ Records on Lexington St, and told me that he’d “played it the other week in Amsterdam and everyone went spastic”. Home turf can do that to you sometimes I guess. From the redoubtable brains behind Intergalactic FM I-F, ‘Space Invaders Are Smoking Grass’ has an obvious electro undercurrent but, besides that, sounds like nothing on Earth. Italo disco comparisons have been made, but I think this is due to the artist’s predilection for it more than anything else, because it really isn’t. What it is is a piece of intentionally dust-submerged beat science that sounds like a pulsing broadcast from beyond the stars so, mission accomplished innit.

No comments: