Friday, June 16, 2023

Track Of The Day: Hawkwind featuring Brian Blessed - Sonic Attack (Cherry Red)


Sonic Attack’ has a special place in my heart because, although I can’t claim to be a Hawkwind aficionado, this particular track, and its eponymously titled album, were on the proverbial heavy rotation at an acquaintance’s flat when it was released. This chap lived in a flat above his mum and, although he hadn’t succumbed completely to the icy grip of early eighties Merseyside smack, he did dabble. Hawkwind, he was fond of telling me, were unique, and “for trippers”. That was their genre and, therefore, more than enough justification for listening to them. I was knee-deep in reggae, jazz and funk at the time, so being in this chap’s lodgings was always a bit of an eye-opener. It wasn’t pretty though. Squalid and dingy, frugally furnished and reeking of poverty, as well as the junkie philosopher’s lifestyle of getting stoned night and day, interspersed with working out and punching a torso sized bag rigged in the kitchen. However, I doubt I spent much time there when I wasn’t under the influence of something. I read somewhere that Michael Moorcock spoke the words on the original version. This was lost on me at the time though. Anyway, having Brian Blessed do it feels like a good fit, and definitely makes one ponder “But is it Balaeric?”

No comments: