Thursday, June 08, 2023

Track Of The Day: Buzzcocks - Moving Away From The Pulsebeat (United Artists)


I remember buying ‘Another Music In A Different Kitchen’ from Liscard shopping hall on its release date. Jean, the lady who managed the record shop that became a sort of second home for me around that time, was a friend of my mum’s and she always used to put records aside for me so, every time I went there, they would have piled up and I would have any pocket money spent before it was due. This is probably my favourite album of that time. I played it more than any other and Manchester’s finest in 1977 probably spoke more directly to me than any other group. Anyway, this is the final track on the album and it’s a departure from the power pop/punk that characterised the band’s output. Coming in at around two minutes more than most of their tunes, it’s a showpiece for John Maher’s excellent drumming and shifts the focus from fast, urgent guitar riffs to a more spacious workout where the music and those behind it are allowed to breath a little more. All in all it’s paradoxically the most conventional track on the album, but also one of the most memorable, and a great way to go out. Oh, and I had the album with the plastic carrier bag it came in, sadly long gone now.

No comments: