Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Track Of The Day: The Doors - The Crystal Ship (Elektra)


So, like it or not, I really got into The Doors for a while. And there are many different tracks I could have chosen, but this one is the first I thought of. Opinions on Jim Morrison span the spectrum of opinions; mine is probably equidistant between “I don’t really have one” and “He made some good records”. I remember buying “No One Here Gets Out Alive’ and loving it, (supposed inaccuracies notwithstanding), but finding Morrison a strangely uninteresting character outside the music. Taken in isolation, some of his poetry/lyrics don’t stand the test of time well, but I guess I was of a certain age and I didn’t find them to be completely pretentious. ‘The Crystal Ship’ is a great song solely due to its grandiose finale. Originally the B side to ‘Light My Fire’, its easy to believe that it was suffocated on its release.

No comments: