Friday, May 19, 2023

Track Of The Day: The Smiths - Barbarism Begins At Home (Rough Trade)


A sad day when someone from a band you grew up with passes away. So, in memory of Andy Rourke, here’s a track that I haven’t listened to for decades, but one that showcases his excellent bass playing. I’m getting a bit of a Proustian moment on hearing this. Bedroom full of sun, records scattered to the four winds, my life ahead of me. How’s that gone you may say? OK, but not at all as I envisioned it, although I did realise my dream of living in Paris (I’d set 30 as the time this was to happen. I was a couple of years out). I liked The Smiths a lot, and had a girlfriend who was a big fan. None of my mates liked them though, so they existed in a sort of romantic vacuum for me. They came and went in a glimpse, which is a good lifespan for a band I think. Imagine if they were still going now. Great days, and RIP Andy. 

No comments: