Monday, May 15, 2023

Track Of The Day: Herbert - Non-Stop (Phono)


It’s getting on for thirty years since Matthew Herbert broke through, courtesy of four twelve inch singles released on Phono in the mid nineties. I was living in Paris at the time, and spent most of it, and my money, at Rough Trade near Bastille, which was the epicentre of the Parisian scene, along with BPM around the corner, and Salinas, to a lesser extent, in Montmartre. Listening to so many records in a shop really crystallises the memory, and I can see a much younger Ivan Smagghe handing me this record in my mind’s eye. I really should have had an account there, I spent so much. I worked in La Defense and would often take the metro right across town during my lunch break on a hunch, or to pick an order up. This record is one of many that reminds me of those days, so its value to me is as much sentimental as sonic. However, if asked to pick a track from those four releases that typifies them, it would be this bass quaking monster. A true minimal, deep house classic that has more than stood the test of time.

No comments: