Saturday, July 22, 2023

Track Of The Day: Cabaret Voltaire - Brutal But Clean (Apollo)


A day of complete procrastination so far. I didn’t go on the parkrun this morning because I couldn’t be arsed. The weather is awful, autumnal shite. We’ve even considered baking a cake, in July! Not only that, I’m short on inspiration for ‘TOTD’. “Well, there’s always Cabaret Voltaire” I said. A rich vein of brilliance that I think I may have already over exploited. Well, here we go again. ‘Brutal But Clean’ comes from ‘The Conversation’, a criminally overlooked album from 1994 when Cabaret Voltaire was Richard H. Kirk, and over its 3 slabs of vinyl, it does house music as well, if not better than any other Cabs long player. You honestly couldn’t be listening to anyone else, such is the depth and density of sound design. ‘Brutal But Clean’ is funky as and has an innate sense of imbalance and foreboding while still making you dance. Discogs prices are insane for the album, and I doubt anyone in their right mind would pay those at the higher end. However, it’s worth shelling out should you want a copy. You won’t be disappointed.

No comments: