Saturday, April 29, 2023

Track Of The Day: Yello - You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess (Stiff)


The genius of Yello is obvious, and they did so many tracks that fly undert the radar compared to others. This one is the title track to the album which sort of relaunched their careers.They had released 2 albums on Ralph Records up till then, which was the label The Residents used to record on, so they probably felt that they were being sidelined in the weirdo market. Anyway, this was their first album to embrace the disco full on, on Stiff Records no less (another strange choice methinks). I remember buying it from Reaction Records in New Brighton. The hippies that ran it were well into it. They had broad taste, as long as it was cosmic. I remember plucking it from the crammed boxes of sleeves that were packed into boxes like sardines. I was vaguely aware of Yello at the time, but can’t remember if I’d actually heard any of their music before, so I bought it on a hunch, as so many record purchases used to be made. I can’t remember which album I bought with it, as I definitely bought two records that day. Anyway, waffle aside, this is boss and needs a remix.

No comments: