Friday, April 14, 2023

Track Of The Day: Charles Mingus - Ysabel's Table Dance (RCA Victor)


From the ‘Tijuana Moods’ album, a copy of which I came across in Reaction Records, New Brighton, back in the mists of time. Reaction was a shop owned by two guys, Rob and Rob, whose approach to music was just the more out there it is, the more we want to stock it. I think they had some affiliation to Hawkwind as well, but maybe not. In any case, this was the first Mingus album I bought, and this is the track I always remember. The mad castanet playing, the strumming of the double bass, the way the madness comes and goes to let in the more regimented band, who seem to be operating under the auspices of organized chaos. All this and more. It brings back memories of Fort Street, all night sessions: Pete, Mike, Simon and Colin, amongst others. An autodidactic environment were I learnt more than anywhere else, and continue to be guided by. Those were, indeed, the days. 


My copy of 'Tijuana Moods'.

Reaction Records in full effect.

No comments: