Sunday, April 02, 2023

Track Of The Day: Lapis Lazuli (A2) (Primitive)


Primitive was one of the labels run by Swag, whose productions for me were buy on sight. This untitled release is, I think, by them. (I think all on this label might be, except Violet Tracks). However, I don’t really know. What I do know is that this particular track bears all their hallmarks: funk in spades, muscular percussion cast in relief on the rest of the sound sphere, and that pervasive, late-night ambience. It’s structured in such a way as to suggest that it’s forever peaking, or about to; rather like a good portion of the dancefloor would have been I imagine. Anyway, underneath the incessant funky battery, there’s an undercurrent of placid synth work providing the springboard, plus what sounds like a twisted and gnarled vocal. The combination is a winning one, and hasn’t been bettered. 

No comments: