Friday, September 01, 2023

Track Of The Day: Cozy Powell - Dance With The Devil (RAK)


A rather unusual entry, but one that’s been in my head for a while now and, as it’s been a similar time since I last penned some words on the blog, why not? ‘Dance With The Devil’ has its own Wikipedia entry, so I’ll leave the fine detail here. As far as I’m concerned, it’s one of those songs from a golden age of pop, when hit makers hid behind groups and singers and wrote number 1 after number 1, the act a vehicle for their words and their libidos. This track got as far as number 3 in the charts, quite an achievement for a pop metal instrumental, and came out on RAK; pop svenghali and ‘New Faces’ panellist Mickie Most’s label, also the home of Mud and Suzi Quatro. I can remember it being wheeled out on ‘Top Of The Pops’ and thinking that it had to be one of the curios, and most interesting pieces of pop music, of its time, which it was.

No comments: