Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Track Of The Day: Mikey Dread - Zodiac Sign (Dread At The Controls)


From the ‘SWALK’ album, released 40 years or so ago, this is one of the more memorable tunes which, as soon as I play it, evokes Proustian sensations and I’m back in Canty’s room. Because while I have this album somewhere on an aged TDK cassette, the copy belonged to Ian. I think the title of the collection was trying to target the lover’s rock audience. We never saw it that way though, getting a totally different vibe out of it altogether. A great album in any case, and I could have picked almost any track, such are the stoned memories I have of us listening to them all on repeat. The first time I heard of Mikey Dread was when he was recruited by The Clash to guest on ‘Sandinista’. He certainly made an impact through that and doors were opened as a consequence. ‘Zodiac Signs’ is a typical melodic skanker, and joins other similar tracks, such as The Floaters ‘Float On’ in the Mystic Meg approved astrological annals.

No comments: