Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Track Of The Day: G Strings - The Land Of Dreams (G Strings)


I first came across this track when I was studying at Rutgers, New Jersey 1991-92. There was a record store in New Brunswick called Planet X which was managed by a guy named Spike. I bought some bits from him but, mindful no doubt of the impracticalities of lugging a load of vinyl home from The USA at the end of the academic year, I asked him to put me together a mixtape or two. This track was on the first cassette he gave me, and it’s been in my head ever since. The groove is insistent, heavy and turbulent, smashing through whatever is put in its path. Contrast comes in the shape of a fluctuating, low end theremin – like synth line, which makes it sound like a Buddha machine on speed. A brilliant, minimal track that feels raw, spiritual and cosmic and totally unique. Big thanks to 7th Sign for reissuing it because it may have fallen by the wayside otherwise.

No comments: