Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Confinement Diary: 1











A cursory glance at any site involved in (electronic) music, and that includes social media, might be illusory to say the least. During these times of lockdown it’s tempting to say that without socializing the electronic music scene may as well not exist. It’s music for clubs, which, if they can’t open, falls on deaf ears. The past few weeks have started to prove otherwise and raise some pertinent questions regarding the need for clubs as a conduit for music. I’m not seeking to suggest that clubs and similar spaces are unnecessary in themselves; rather that the music which fills them is, as far as what I listen to is concerned, able to exist quite independently without much help from “the scene”. One caveat is that those who make the music rely to some, or all extent, for their livelihood. How many artists does this affect, and would they be missed? It’s a minority for sure and eventually no, they wouldn’t be. Is this cold and unsentimental? Not really, just realistic. Of course certain artists would be missed inasmuch their passing would be greeted with various outpourings and gnashing of teeth, but this is an entropic situation which is impossible to predict apart from the feeling that nothing and no one is sacred. Talking as someone who doesn’t make a living from music is my opinion valid? I would like to think so as I’ve spent a huge proportion of my disposable income on it ever since I was old enough to develop my own predilections. When I think of the vast amount of vinyl I’ve accumulated over the years I wonder how my life might have been different had I developed other interests or passions? Impossible to say, but I can rely on is the knowledge that without having begun that journey, my life wouldn’t have turned out in the way it has, and I am quite a happy, if lazy and unambitious, person. There are certain things I would change, that I would like to have evolved differently, and I have plenty of regrets. However, when all is said and done I think I’m in a reasonably good place. Music, as well as other interests, has been key in getting me here, and had anything turned out differently I wouldn’t be in the position I’m in.

So I recently got asked to do one of those ’Ten Albums Which Influenced My Musical Taste’ on Facebook. Although I don't like these things as I feel they are a little self-indulgent, I thought why not. The problem is that I did one on Twitter around a week before, only this time it was a snap survey and it was just four. The first four that came into my head. It’s best not to think too hard about these things I suppose as they are forever changing. You think about all things that are irrelevant to everyone but yourself and anyone else who is in nerd mode. ‘Can I include”, or “Should I include more than one album by the same artist”? It’s a bit like planning a mix. For whatever reason I’ve always strived to include as many tunes by as many different artists on as many different labels as possible. This means that for all mixes I record at home, I rarely, if ever, duplicate artists or labels. Playing out is a different matter of course. It’s often the first thing that comes to hand or what is going to be the most effective tune at the time. Planning a mix at home shouldn’t be a more stressful activity but it often is. There’s more of a tendency to produce something perfect and also show off music you’ve paid for. Anyway, I digress. Like most people I find these lists impossible to make. It’s good fun thinking about them though, even if they can be an object of ridicule where others are concerned. So the those ’Ten Albums Which Influenced My Musical Taste’ thing . . . As the foundations of my musical taste were established pre 1990, it’s difficult to think of anything post then that I should include. So, do I distill things further to make the list more representative of my life up to now? 

No comments: