Friday, April 05, 2019

Currently Idle - Etienne (Reductive)



Title: Currently Idle
Artist: Etienne
Label: Reductive
Cat Number: RDCTV - 01
Genre: House

A1: Signe Furax
A2: All About
B1: 3RDNuke
B2: Forget Me Not
C1: Lies. Inc
C2: The Doubtful Guest
D1: Information Society
D2: Squall

Whatever I was expecting, the stridency of the beats surprised me a little, in a very good way. Having said that, the overall tone of this album carries on from where his ‘Combat EP’ on Traffic left off, which is to say that the tracks blend the harder edges of house and the funkier elements of techno very well. Now I realize that I could be describing tech house here, but it’s never been a dirty word for me. I still have great memories of spending some of my later, formative years at Wiggle, but it’s also worth remembering that the term was forced upon them somewhat. In any case there are some great tracks here: ‘Signe Furax’ with it’s echoes of Tan Ru’s ‘Purple Heart’ gets things going in fine style, and ‘The Doubtful Guest’ administers bass-heavy punishment at a similar rate. Even the album’s more placid moments, like ‘All About’ and ‘Forget Me Not’ still pack a lower frequency punch. All in all, a very nice piece of work all over, with funk in spades and no filler.

No comments: