Thursday, July 07, 2022

SNKR036 - Filter Dread (Sneaker Social Club)

 


Title: SNKR036

Artist: Filter Dread

Label: Sneaker Social Club 

Cat Number: SNKR036

Genre: Hardcore


A1: Talk All Low

A2: Underwave

A3: Space Beams

B1: Asid 888

B2: Ghost Square

B3: Data Temple


Something that I never tire of thinking to myself is that hardcore really isn’t my genre of choice. I’m house through and through, particularly techno with a house slant. Tech house before it became a dirty (compound) word. Give me a low slung bass underneath a long, drawn-out groove and I’m happy. However, the imagination on show within the hardcore musical firmament is boundless which makes it one of the most interesting home listens around right now. I don’t dance much to this stuff, rather have it as the soundtrack to my weekend coffee and pain au choc. Sneaker Social Club have been nice enough to furnish me with my dystopian break beat fix for a while now and Filter Dread is right at the top of the pile as far as the transmission of surreptitious sonic hieroglyphics is concerned. The six tracks here all feel redolent of a secret cipher. An update of the coded messages that are given over radio during times of living under occupation in order to inform the resistance of the potential danger they were in, and secret meetings. Machines will someday be developed to decipher these transient, incognito wavelengths and render them into a concrete semantic order. Until that happens though, we’re all just catching up.

No comments: