Tuesday, November 09, 2021

Colin Wilson via Paul Morley Evokes Nostalgia

 




I’ve just started reading Paul Morley’s biography of Tony Wilson and, after what felt like an over long introduction at the time, it started to pick up speed with, amongst other things, references to other famous Wilsons. Colin Wilson was mentioned, and this immediately made me go and seek out me copy of ‘The Outsider’, his famous work from the sixties that profiles a number of seminal artists and their work, as well as their status as interlopers. I bought this book form a bookshop in Liverpool that used to be on Renshaw St. It was a regular haunt and had a great selection of counter-culture classics which fired the imagination then, and still continue to. The chap who owned it was typical independent bookshop central casting. A bit portly, permanently dressed down in a warm jumper, glasses, beard, and there were always a few cats prowling around. I think this copy cost £7, and it is signed. However, I bought it for the cover as much as anything else. It’s been a very long time since I read it, but I think it’s time is nigh once more. When I read it I don’t remember having the impression it was anything les than erudite and compelling. However, I know that it isn’t held in the highest scholastic regard. No matter. It’s very much of its time and I shall be considering its value in that context once I start reading it again, after I’ve finished the already impressive ‘From Manchester With Love’.

                                                                      

No comments: