Monday, February 17, 2020

Andrew Weatherall



I was at work when I heard about the death of Andrew Weatherall. It came digitally, electronically as everything does these days.  However, its impact was no less severe for doing so. Even though clubbing is something I don’t do much of any more, this isn’t because of any lack of motivation. Circumstance, situation, location, all play a part. I have always breathed it in from afar though, and the more left field and countercultural the better. Andrew Weatherall was a guiding light throughout the last thirty years of my life and he, more than anyone else, embodied a freedom of spirit and lack of compromise essential in anyone who doesn’t want to sell out.  He was also a uniquely British artist who didn't allow his nationality to restrict him. Of all the things he was involved in over the course of his illustrious career, it’s maybe Covenanza, his Carcassonne-based Festival which intrigued me the most.  Apparently inspired by The Guvnor’s interest in the Cathars, I was finally making the journey this year with my French Mrs, whose Dad is from that neck of the woods and who also has a great interest in the heritage. I am so sad to not be going and connecting with everyone there. The festival sold out at the beginning of this month but I got my tickets in early December and it was the highlight of this year. The idea of a festival mixing messy, druggy, chugging house with a journey into medieval French counter culture was inspired and something that only Andrew could have pulled off. This news has hit me hard, like so many others. I met him personally when I interviewed him for 209 Radio, Cambridge , in 2009, and he was great. He took me to a side room in The Fez where he was playing, was very generous with his time, incredibly genuine and just wanted to chat. He was accompanied by a retinue of wastrels who were all on good form by the time they arrived and who could say nothing but great things about him. His last tune of that night was Echo and the Bunnymen’s ‘The Killing Moon’, which was inspired. I’m actually a little embarrassed by the chat we had as I sound overly emphatic and eager, in contrast to his laid-back demeanor, but I think about it often and wish it could happen again. Other times were very early on in Brighton at a Storm rave at The Top Rank, and at a Primal Scream gig in New York. This is a loss comparable to John Peel’s passing, but I feel so much sadder about it because he really was one of us. 

See you on the other side.

Embarrassing interview to be found here.

With hindsight I should say that at the moment nothing has been said to suggest that Covenanza won't take place. The above paragraph was a spontaneous outpouring that badly needs an edit. Can't cancel the flight now so I'll be going anyway in memoriam.



No comments: