Sunday, April 16, 2023

Track Of The Day: Grant Green - Idle Moments (Blue Note)


The title track of the Blue Note album that I bought at the end of the 80s will always evoke exactly what it is supposed to. I can remember playing it for the first time on my first cd player, an old Philips cd/radio thing. I’d just got back from work on a Friday evening and was living in Palmer’s Green, unwisely, with an ex and her boyfriend. Anyway, listening to this piece of music was enough to send me into the arms of Morpheus. At 14 minutes I’m sure there are plenty who think this composition outstays its welcome, but I’m not one of them. It could go on forever. There’s so much time between the grooves. However, silence is not an option. This music breathes, even though it’s bookended by a befuddled timescale. There are vibes as well, which seem omnipresent throughout until they come in near the end. One to put on when you’re really fed up, can’t be arsed and maybe need to sleep on things.

No comments: