Friday, May 10, 2024

Track Of The Day: The Residents - Kaw-Liga (Prairie Mix) (Torso)


The Residents first came into my orbit in the late seventies with their version of ‘Satisfaction’. A yellow vinyl 7” which, at the time, was as punk as a lot of what I was listening to. Very much out on a limb, arty American stuff that I filed next to the likes of Pere Ubu and Devo. ‘Kaw-Liga (Prairie Mix)’ is significant because it made an appearance on ‘Balearic Beats’ and it still has great chug propulsion. A dark disco secret weapon that still turns heads and sounds strangely like Yello, who recorded for The Residents’ label, Ralph Records, back in their youth. I was lucky enough to catch the Residents at Sadlers Wells in 1989 for their ‘Cube E Show’. A multi-scened piece of musical theatre with the most elaborate costumes I’ve ever seen on a stage. Memories are very hazy, but fragments remain.

No comments: