Sunday, October 15, 2023

Track Of The Day: Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop (Westbound)


I came across this video today never having seen it before, so it was an obvious choice. ‘Cosmic Slop’ was one of those tracks that for me signified something special at a particular moment in my life. It was one of those singalong earworms that myself and my better half picked up on, from God knows where. We listened to Funkadelic a lot in the early nineties, I’m not sure how it came about, but it seemed in tune with the life we were leading. They materialised out of a shared love of jazz and funk. While living in Paris, although I was feeding my record collection by living beyond my means catering for a serious vinyl habit, hoovering up house and techno the foundations upon which that music had been built were also being paid respect. I still have all of these records and cds and every time I listen to them I wonder at the warped minds that made them. Apparently the band were on acid during the making of this video, which isn’t hard to imagine. We got to see Funkadelic play on an island in the middle of The Seine in the early nineties, supported by Dee-Lite. They were great, and played for ages, a bit like Ken Dodd. Every time they came back for an encore they stayed for an hour. George Clinton would disappear for ten minutes at a time and let the band jam while he replenished himself. I reckon he’d put the acid behind him by then, but you never know. 

No comments: