Friday, October 27, 2023

Track Of The Day: Davidovitch - Cellophane (Kompakt Extra)


Another day, another track on Kompakt. And while I remarked yesterday that ‘Timecode’ was my favourite track on the label, I had my fingers firmly crossed behind my back. As you can see, this track is on Kompakt Extra and I can’t believe it came out in 2006. I have memories of walking along the beach in Barcelona Off Sonar, and sauntering past Michael Mayer playing this track at an outdoor bar. Fast forward 16 or so years and this, along with another, was recognised in Ivan Smagghe & Chloe’s set at Covenanza. I couldn’t place it at the time so it annoyed the hell out of me. Then I came across a thread on the ALFOS Facebook page where someone had posted a clip of it being played there. Davidovitch didn’t produce much and, despite his Slavic sounding name, I believe he’s Swiss. However, this absolutely boss piece of sublime space disco that bounces along to an irresistible riff is difficult to improve on. It feels like it has scraped the essence of italo, hollowed it out into a disco echo chamber, and recomposed the constituent raw materials into more refined dance friendly weapons. At least that’s what I tell the ladies.

No comments: