Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Black Rave Culture - Quick Game EP (Black Rave Culture)

 


Title: Quick Game EP

Artist: Black Rave Culture 

Label: Black Rave Culture

Cat Number: BRC4

Genre: Black Rave Culture


1: Dick Control

2: Jambu

3: STOMP EM OUT


Well, I’m sure I have no idea what ‘Dick Control’ might allude to. However, I imagine that it’s one of those “club weapons . . .  best suited for listening after midnight, in dark rooms with rumbling subwoofers and vibrant urban dance floors.” Somethjiong that I would currently have no idea of. Although I can say that listening to this in the cold light of day, in my dining room at lunchtime on a Wednesday, it does feel over before it’s begun. A brief glimpse into a paranormal subculture that underlays the waking life it seeks to subvert. ‘Jambu’ is cut from much the same cloth. Repetitive, digital call and response. A collection of verbal grimaces set to a primeval hoodoo hoe down. And then we’ve got ‘STOMP EM OUT’. A track whose brevity is perfectly relayed by the necessity to subject its title to the all caps treatment. A fidgety melody that sounds like a migraine set to music. “Black Rave Culture blends styles like footwork, techno, and two-step across this entire EP - continuing to showcase their uniquely gifted talent of fusing styles from multiple genres into one.” Is a succinct synopsis of this release and says it better than I can. I’m all about impressions though and I generally like that this release takes me to places where others cannot reach.

No comments: