Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Track Of The Day: Echo And The Bunnymen - Over The Wall (Korova)



A good friend of mine went to see Echo & The Bunnymen at The Albert Hall last night, which has inspired me to name this as TOTD. It’s probably my favourite track by them. Extremely atmospheric, dark, driving and full of the qualities that made them such a memorable band. Some sterling guitar work from Will Sergeant, great warbling from Ian McCulloch and the unbeatable rhythm section of Les Pattinson and the late, great Pete de Freitas. I remember when they used to be positioned against U2 by the music press as a band with a similar direction. I’m not sure if they’d agree, but not coining it to the vast extent that U2 did was always a plus point in my eyes. And, while not wanting to deny them any deserved success, I doubt it would have sat well with them. I know nothing of course, and this is just idle musing, but, for me at least, they still retain a semi-mythical status, albeit one rooted in the mists of time.

No comments: