Saturday, September 23, 2023

Track Of The Day: Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - I'm Gonna Booglarize You, Baby (Reprise Records)


I first came across this track as the opener on ‘The Spotlight Kid’ and, much like my discovery of Gil Scott-Heron, I also have Reaction Records, once of the parish of New Brighton, to thank for furnishing me with prime Beefheart. There’s been a lot written about Probe in Liverpool recently, with the passing of both Geoff and Annie Davis, but Reaction played just as big a role in my musical purchasing in many ways. I suppose a big reason was it being open on a Sunday, which 40 or so years ago was a big deal, as everywhere else was shut. NewBrighton, being a faded resort town, still catered to the day tripper though, whatever it’s state. Anyway, this video shows the Captain and Magic Band in fine form. A lot of Beefheart was listened to around at Vinny’s, I wouldn’t have started listening to this stuff it it hadn’t been for him, and every time I listened to virtually any tune I was always blown away by the quality of musicianship on display. Any performance or recording by the Magic Band redefines organised chaos. Absolutely incredible paradoxical mapped spontaneity.

No comments: