Tuesday, August 08, 2023

Track Of The Day: Gasper Lawal - Kita Kita (Cap Records)


Possibly the stand out track from an album I’d forgotten I have until I was reminded about it by an old friend a few weeks ago. Gaspar Lawal released the album in 1980, having returned to Nigeria from London, where he had been living for the previous 10 years, during which time he had worked with, amongst others, Ginger Baker, The Rolling Stones and Funkadelic. ‘Kita Kita’ is a mid-paced percussive dance floor bomb with strong dubby overtones and comes correct with characteristic west African guitar licks and backing vocals. The whole track feels like a mirage that gradually takes shape only to shift and decompose before finding its feet again and reanimating itself. African music was pushed a lot by The NME during the early 80s, and this was one of the first albums I bought during that time. Of course others followed, and I have that time to thank for making me aware of so much good music, which in turn made me go out and see so many amazing seminal artists. The musicians feel like they are playing their instruments so effortlessly on this composition; it comes so naturally to them. Infectious and contagious stuff. I wish I could remember where I bought it, I think it was probably Reaction in New Brighton. The acid vinyl temple by the seaside.

No comments: