Friday, June 03, 2022

The Transcendental Deck Skills Of Alex Downey



I’ve never seen Alex play, but I listen to a lot of his sets and, while it would be good to have first hand experience of the skill and dexterity involved, I’m more than happy with what I’ve heard within the online medium. I regularly repost his mixes on here, as well as share them on social media and I’ve heard him referred to as the best there is from these here shores. This is a believable claim, and I’m sure that he would be more widely known and appreciated if he had the profile of a recording artist. He is “only” a DJ though; but what a DJ. I can only imagine how it must feel in the right environment when confronted by the machine funk smorgasbord at his fingertips. The sonic spectrum is explored, which means that one gives oneself up to a combination of breaks, electro, techno, idm and everything in between. On occasion there are life-changing moments when the music hits with such intensity that I’m constantly reminded of the bewildered looks on faces of Roma’s players as Liverpool gave them the runaround during the first leg of the 2018 Champions’ League semi final. The hypnotic sets I’ve had the pleasure to hear are built largely on a fusion of break beats and electro, the two becoming progressively denser and draped in atomic transcendentalism in constantly evolving peaks and troughs. This, however, doesn’t necessarily eschew a more traditional looped approach. His approach to DJing is as much about being caught in the sonic conflagration as anything else; and is a reminder that given the correct terms and conditions, we all have the potential to be in two places at once.

No comments: