Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Detroit Visions - Luke Hess (Rekids Special Projects)


 

Title: Detroit Visions 

Artist: Luke Hess 

Label: Rekids Special Projects

Cat Number: RSPX41

Genre: Techno


01: Two Prophets

02: The Way

03: Soul Purpose

04: Polymoon


I have a few records by Mr Hess in my collection, which does need some pruning. However, I won’t be getting rid of any of his bits. And it’s good to see that with this release he’s doing what I expect of him, making quality techno of a driving, dubby sensibility. All of the tracks here represent this approach pretty well, with perhaps ‘Polymoon’ feeling a little less fluid than the others. And ‘Two Prophets’ and ‘Soul Purpose’ being the most exemplary takes, the latter having a denser, deeper approach than the former’s more stripped-down, metallic groove. It’s a sound that no matter how often I hear it, and irrespective of the artist, always gets me going. ‘The Way’ fuses momentum, propulsion and space into a tunnel vision of dub, offering something less linear, but no less effective.

No comments: