Wednesday, September 01, 2021

uu002 - unknown artist 002 (unknown-untitled)

 


Title: uu002

Artist: unknown artist 002

Label: unknown-untitled

Cat Number: uu002

Genre: Synthetic Smorresbord 


a1

a2

b1

b2


Like so much that is being released at the moment, the dominant motif here is the break beat. The quest to stand apart, however, can produce interesting results. A lot of what I am reviewing right now falls into this category, which can become a cliché in itself. The good news is that almost everything I am writing about gives me something positive to say. Who knows who is behind this release on this label. It really doesn’t matter. It’s anything but formulaic and is reassuringly inventive and abstract, working on a variety of levels. There is an omniscient feel to the whole package, permeated by a playfulness and capriciousness which isn’t easy to achieve. The “do tracks really need names” debate, of which I have been engaged in with myself for longer than I care to remember, is laid bare here, as any connection with lazy metaphors is not given a chance to flourish. A lot is encompassed within: hardcore, break beats, chin-stroking redux, IDM (never understood the term, but I’ll use it) and ultimately techno. It’s wonderfully imaginative and varied, defying easy categorisation, and makes one wonder who is at the controls.  

No comments: