Monday, September 06, 2021

I'm Not Like Other PPL - Tred (Lobster Theremin)

 


Title: I'm Not Like Other PPL 

Artist: Tred

Label: Lobster Theremin

Cat Number: lt091

Genre: House


1: I'm Not Like Other PPL 

2: Dead Droid

3: Secrets

4: Don’t Need A Thing

5: All Messed Up (Digi Only)


Having listened to this EP all the way through I suppose I should cut any possible future crap and say “contemporary hard dance” isn’t my thing. If that is indeed what this release has been branded, then there’s not much more to say on the matter. This is not to ignore Tred’s obvious production skills, but the high velocity that pervades each track, except 

‘All Messed Up’ I find lacks funk and depth. The press release refers to “an old school, psychedelic experience” where the “old horror film vocal samples” are concerned; but any such feeling is obliterated by the sheer pervasive Duracell bunny timeline. It’s the digital only relative restraint of “ All Messed Up’ which provides the releases highlight, for me anyway. ‘Don’t Need A Thing’ is the best example of its type here though. A roaring depth charge of energy which seems to decompose and coalesce multiple times within its lifespan.


No comments: