Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Hello Death - Malcolm Pardon (The New Black)

 


Title: Hello Death

Artist: Malcolm Pardon

Label: The New Black

Cat Number: TNB001

Genre: Ambient Piano


1: Beneath The Surface

2: The Blindspot

3: A Descent

4: Blood In Water

5: Unsettled Beginnings

6: April 13th

7: End Less Theory

8: Silent Rumble


An aptly titled album, particularly if you’re the type of England fan who finds defeat, and life, hard to take then morning after losing the Euros to Italy. Thankfully that’s not me. However, I can still find plenty to ponder while listening to this excellent record by Malcom Pardon. ‘Hello Death’ is a reflection on mortality, and is a piano led collection of minimal compositions which are very evocative and cinematic. The repetition is beguiling and the simplicity enchanting. Although if I felt more qualified to comment at length I would, it’s enough for me to say that this is music which does what it says on the tin. It’s charm is its naivety. And far from being a depressing listen, it uplifts and inspires, so I feel a lot better about last night now. 

No comments: