Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Love (Or I Heard You Like Heartbreak) - Prequel (Rhythm Section)

 


Title: Love (Or I Heard You Like Heartbreak)

Artist: Prequel

Label: Rhythm Section

Cat Number: RS035

Genre: House


1: I Need Your Love (Intro)

2: When Love Is New

3: Violeiro

4: I’ll Never Stop Loving You

5: All I’m Missing Is You

6: Love Is Love (Interlude)

7: I’m In Love With You (Interlude)

8: I Tried To Tell Him

9: Unaware Of Love

10: And That’s The Story Of Their Love (Short Version)

11: Love Is feat. Cazeaux O.S.L.O
12: I Don’t Know When I’m Going To See You Again (Outro)


There’s a lot of love to go around on Prequel’s conceptually amorous album, and it comes drenched in strings, melancholia, bittersweet longing and a range of styles which cover a gamut of musical bases all of which are unmistakeably H.O.U.S.E. Having said that, this collection inhabits more than muscle memory. It could easily come off as a little self-indulgent in places; ‘Violeiro’ goes down a bit of a Brazilian dead end. However, it’s not the only track that does its own thing without disturbing the consistency of the bake. The album is full of other wonderfully evocative moments. ‘All I’m Missing Is You’ is a simple call and response couched in refined filter disco. It’s depth of detail sets it apart. ‘And That’s The Story Of Their Love (Short Version)’ is a tranced out piece of Ron Trent inflected deepness which takes the listener on a voyage down their own stream of consciousness.  ‘Love Is feat. Cazeaux O.S.L.O’ does its own thing and evokes the spirit of seduction in the process. The intros are great, but could they have been better placed? What isn’t in question is the album’s ambition, scope and polish. It’s a wonderfully symbiotic collection, exploring the connections between love and loss and managing to make both of them sound equally appealing.

No comments: